A COMMUNIQUÉ ISSUED AFTER THE 2017 GENERAL CONGRESS OF NETWORK OF CSO’S AGAINST CHILD TRAFFICKING,ABUSE AND LABOUR, (NACTAL)TODAY THE 23RD NOVEMBER,2017 AT DEZANNY C HOTEL, ACHARA LAYOUT, ENUGU, ENUGU STATE.
NACTAL is a Network of Civil Society Against Child Trafficking Abuse and Labour, the network provides a common platform for CSOs to promote unity of purpose, share best practices and avoid duplication of efforts and interventions in eradicating trafficking child abuse and labour in Nigeria. Its membership cuts across all the six geo-political zones of the country and includes non-governmental organisation, Faith Based and Community Based Organisations. NACTAL is committed to building a nation which protects the rights of children. Among its major objectives is to collaborate with relevant government agencies such as National Agency for Prohibition of Traffic In Persons and other related matters (NAPTIP) and development partners in the concerted effort to combat human trafficking and all forms of child abuse and labour.
The meeting had delegates from the five geo political zone comprising South-East, South-West, South-South, North-West and North Central. North-East was unavoidably absent and sent their apology the Zonal coordinator on behalf of the zone supported the Congress 100% and wish the team best of luck.
The agenda included among other matters includes election of new National Executive Officers
The AGM/Congress was rounded up with a communiqué:
- The Congress appreciated the South East zone of the network for hosting the congress.
- The network appreciated the support, encouragement and collaboration of both local and international partners.
- The network appreciated the efforts and support of NACTAL Board of Trustees
- The house view the elongated time of the interim committee as an occasion not too good for the image of the network. Therefore the need to restructure NACTAL and ensure that new executive is set up. It was therefore agreed that an election be conducted.
- The election was conducted by the representatives of NAPTIP as electoral body that makes sure the election was free and fair with the following people emerged the new executives.
- Adaramola S. Emmanuel – President
- Ezenwa Lilian – Deputy President
- Fela Bright – General Secretary
- Ogechukwu Enwelum – Treasurer
- Barr. Chinweuba Onah – Legal Adviser
- Osita Osemene – Public Relations Officer
- The new officers were sworn in to take the leadership of the network for the next two years. They are saddled with the responsibilities of restructuring and reposition the network.
- The house agreed that there is urgent need to improve on intra and inter communication.
- That the new executive should increase the feasibilities for the network by working with other partners.
- There is need for improved allocation of resources by local partners to fund TIP/SOM issues in Nigeria not leaving the funding to international partners alone.
- NACTAL also express her concern on the recent repatriation of Nigerian and also sympathizes with the families of those who lost their lives on their trip to Europe, It is therefore very important that the Nigeria Government and other stakeholders should do more in protection her citizen and discourage Trafficking in Person and Illegal Migration.
Conclusion: NACTAL is a strong force in the fight against TIP in Nigeria and will henceforth work more with other partners to fight the issues of TIP/SOM. The network also looks forward to further partnership with other state and Non state actors to provide assistance to victims of TIP/SOM.